DENTAL CARE TIPS FROM THE EXPERTS:
- Brush at least twice a day.
- Floss at least once a day.
- Use a SOFT toothbrush to minimise wear on teeth and gums.
- Replace your toothbrush every 3 months.
- Diet is essential for maintaining healthy teeth and gums.
- Visit your dentist every 6 months for a check up.
- Visit your dentist if you see any signs of changes or problems in your mouth including any pain, swelling, bleeding or if your teeth feel loose.
- Always be aware of your mouth. Check the back of your mouth and under your tongue when you clean your teeth for any unusual sores, ulcers, or a change in colour. If you notice anything, please show your dentist as soon as possible (ulcers that don’t heal in a fortnight could be due to oral cancer and its imperative that they are assessed straight away).
- Avoid smoking and other tobacco products. Also limit alcohol consumption. Both alcohol and tobacco have been implicated in the development of oral cancer. If you are a smoker and would like to consider quitting, please discuss this with your dentist who will be able to offer support and provide you with some resources to help you quit.